Tuesday, May 30, 2006

"Hey Beautiful!"

For those of you who don't reside in NYC - when the weather gets warm the "Hey Beautiful" comments start to fly. I like to call it New York's hey beautiful culture.

I exited my building today to get a sandwich at the local deli only three blocks away and I was bombarded with "hey beautiful" four times. Ok, I honestly found is flattering but mostly because it was done in good taste - no hand gestures, no creepy kissing noises, no looking me up and down just "hey beautiful".

Now, I know that there is this whole push to put the 'creepies' up on a post - you've heard about Holla Back NYC, right? This is where people post pics and comments of the creeps in NYC who feel the need to urinate in public, fondle themselves, make sexual and inappropriate comments and for public lewdness to be posted. Now I'm all for calling the crazies and harassers out and posting their pics - so post away. I, however, feel that the "hey beautiful' comments aren't too intimidating as long as they aren't coupled with obnoxious gestures or gawking.

So, remember gentlemen, keep it simple and say it like you were saying it to your mother, sister, daughter or aunt - no lady appreciates feeling like a piece of meat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, so "Hey Beautiful" might be okay, but how about the nearly-under-the-breath, "sexy" or the "thank you" or "God bless you." Eeew. The implications-- thanks for showing me a bit of decolletage. I'm thanking God that we crossed paths and that my sweaty self could impinge on your thought space.

Lori said...

Yeah, there is a fine line...

Adrianna said...

The God Bless comment still confuses me... that one is ever so popular on the streets of Brooklyn. It is often followed my mamacita. Where I come from they yell "Pssst... sweet ting!" When will men realize it's not so flattering to cat call women on the street? In fact, it generally makes our stomachs turn.