Friday, May 26, 2006

Dr. Seuss...

I boarded the bus this morning on my way to work and I was reminded about a scene that I witnessed earlier this week - it still makes me giggle to think about it.

The bus I usually take is often populated by parents taking their children to school in the morning. It is also one of those buses that is twice the length. I often see the same people. Wednesday morning in the middle of the bus, across the aisle from one another and facing each other was a father and a daughter. She was about eight years old and he was wearing a tall red and white striped Dr. Seuss hat and a suit and tie. I giggled to myself at the hat as I walked by.

As we pulled away from the stop they started to play Rock Paper Scissors. Side note: did you know that there are professional RPS competitions? I had no idea. The girl and her father giggled and teased each other - they were having fun. They continued to play for twenty blocks and 5 stops.

As we approached their stop they continued to heckle each other about the game and who was winning. As they walked past me to exit the bus the girl said, "Dad, remember when you pick me up this afternoon you have to wear the hat. You lost the bet last night so you have to wear the hat." This made me laugh out loud - after they exited the bus of course.

I still wonder what he lost at and I love that he kept his side of the deal and wore the hat in public.

0 comments: