Saturday, April 29, 2006

On the Steps of The Met

6:00-6:15 pm
Friday, April 28, 2006

I took a detour on my way home last night. I sat on the steps of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have a membership to The Met, thanks Mom and Dad. I visit often. Tonight I thought I’d people watch.
  • A group of 15 twelve year old girls with five moms were standing in a huddle. All the girls wore “I ♥ NY” t-shirts. It made me wonder, does anyone who lives in New York really own an “I ♥ NY” t-shirt? Scratch that. Does anyone who lives in New York ever wear the “I ♥ NY” t-shirt that their Mother bought when she visited that’s in their closet?
  • I wondered how many photos were taken by tourists and how many of them I appear in.
  • I heard nine languages other than English. Amazing!
  • Best conversation snippet that I heard as a couple descended the stairs. She exclaimed, “I love it. I love it. I absolutely love it!” He said, “Well, yeah – in a Jesus Christ kinda way.” I’ll always wonder what they were talking about.

By the way, thank you to the man whose job it was during this time to sweep the debris that can be found on the steps of The Met. Thanks for removing the cigarette butts, pebbles, bird shit and especially for scraping the dropped gum so I could sit and watch the people.

2 comments:

Adrianna said...

I own and proudly wear my I Heart NY t-shirt... well, to the gym at least. I also have an I Heart the Virgin Islands t-shirt, that is just as near and dear to my heart... and also makes appearances at NYSC.

Maya said...

I own one too... well, until it got so ragged I had to change it, and then the second one I bought shrunk! So, dear New Yorkers... please send Maya a I Heart NY t-shirt ASAP!